The Hospital Santa Isabel name to honor the Spanish queen formerly Hospital San Juan de Dios was founded in 1757 and already in the nineteenth century did not give rise tovast population, the architect of the project was July Sagebien.
In Matanzas, in addition to the Fire Station, there were other quarters dedicated to safeguard the military interests, as was the Goicuría Barracks named after Ignacio Agramonte, that turned into an school after the triumph of the Socialist Revolution.
The building of the present City Council of the Government Palace started in 1695, although their creation dates from December 8, 1694, the day when we celebrate the feast of the Immaculate Conception and date designated for early elections judges, aldermen and the mayor.
The Artistic and Literary Liceo de Matanzas a from its founding in the nineteenth century, became the most renowned cultural institution in Athens of Cuba. The authorization to create it was granted by the civil governor in February 1859.
The body of police in Matanzas was formed in January 1899 under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Liberation Army Mr. Vincent George as its first head, and having under his command 175 men, all these officers of the Liberation Army.
The HQ was opened on February 2, 1873, also being blessed by the parish priest Juan Bautista Echániz Landa. Inspired by the neoclassical architecture, the Fire Station in Matanzas is one of the most attractive buildings of its type in Cuba.
By the year 1895, with the rapid development of the insurrection Mambi, we proceed to build by the colonial government, a series of forts to garrison the city of the possible entry of the insurgent forces in the manner of a "defensive belt "which eventually appeared to be ineffective.
Almost ended the seventeenth century and the newly founded city of San Carlos and San Severino of Matanzas entered the new century with a very poor surveillance of its coasts. The danger represented by the ravages of corsairs and pirates in the Caribbean was imminent, so eminently represented equally strong construction. On one side of the Bay of Matanzas and stood the Castle of San Severino, but the opposite side, the rich area of Canímar, remained unprotected and represented the perfect place for an enemy landing.
The Castle of San Severino was the first fort built in the city to protect it from attacks by corsairs and pirates, in an era that were as feared as likely. The castle was commanded by King Charles II in 1684, or was designed years before the city was founded in 1693.
The popular and famous "Casino Prince Alfonso" was inaugurated on August 18th, 1860, with the presence of the most distinguished and wealthy society of Matanzas in the mid-nineteenth century. That day, when elegance and refinement where in the spot light, marked the life of one of the most famous and prestigious venues for recreation in the City of Matanzas.
Matanzas always suffered a lack of City funds, and to build a jail was not a matter of having a few pesos, at those times when cash was not avaliable, hiring rooms for this purpouse, was more economic and convenient.